Sunday, December 28, 2014

Surprise Holiday Update

Hax version 2.1_alpha has just been released, to my own surprise also.
Since I surprisingly had some spare time during the holidays, I was able to dedicate it to improving Hax. The 2.1 update is mostly a performance and optimization update. The way the framework handles threads has been completely overhauled. Most of the rewrite is not visible to the everyday user. However, there are some things you might be able to notice:
  • the Dark Signs campaign should have a significantly smaller memory footprint, since it now allocates far less threads (and thus memory)
  • there are some small changes to the framework API, the Firmware interface no longer supports the execute() method, and the DuplexDevice (NetworkInterface) now has a new method to simplify implementing synchronous network communication on the OS level
  • the framework should now perform far better under load conditions, with many clients connecting to many servers, also across linked data centers and threaded wires (there was a serious bottleneck on these before), which allows me to finally communicate and present this feature to the public
These changes and overhaul was bugging me for quite some time and I am really happy I managed to implement it. I will now be able to properly concentrate on continuing and completing the sample data center and other stuff that I had planned.

Happy New Year, thanks for your support, and stay tuned for updates coming in 2015!

1 comment: